Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Help?

I am an independent person, a very independent person. In fact stubborn would be a nice way of putting it! The point is that I have a hard time asking for, or accepting help from people. Despite my earlier rant about having to complete "man chores" I would actually prefer to do it myself than to have to ask for help. And as for actually needing help, well I'm sure not going to admit that! Even at the start of my RA, when I could hardly get dressed by myself, I hated having to ask for help, and rarely did. I was in horrible, horrible, horrible pain, and I still would rather do things myself than ask for help.

For the record, I'm kind of an idiot.

RA taught me many things, including the fact that sometimes you just have to ask for help. I still don't do it well, but I do ask when necessary (even if I have to give myself a pep talk first). So this week has been a lesson in asking for help, and I'm pretty darn proud of myself! My rheumatologist agreed to let me try and lower the dose of one of my meds, as a result I've been feeling a bit off. When I went to the grocery store and bought lots of heavy items, the idea of loading them into my car was a bit much so when the bag boy offered to take them to the car for me I accepted, for the first time ever! Today at Lowes when I had to buy mulch I decided not to repeat last years performance (it ended with tears and no mulch), instead I went right in and asked someone for help.

Either I'm growing as a person, or I'm becoming more Southern....either way, it's a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment