Sunday, May 3, 2009

The Beach

I'm not necessarily a "beach person" Don't get me wrong I like the beach, but often visiting the beach is a whirlwind of packing beach bags, unpacking beach bags, applying and reapplying sunscreen, searching fora spot on the beach amongst 10,000 tourists doing the same thing, and digging sand out of places that sand should never be. When I was little my family visited Myrtle Beach every summer to see my grandparents, and to enjoy weather that Michigan rarely afforded. It was fun. It was really fun...for me. I imagine it wasn't so much fun for my parents. Now that I'm a "grown-up" I like my vacations, in general, to be a bit more relaxing. Let's be honest and admit that I'd be perfectly happy sitting in a comfortable chair with a glass of wine and a good book. It wouldn't matter to me if I was in the tropics or Toledo (well, okay maybe the tropics would be better). The point is that I don't need to visit a beach that is high-maintenance. I need one that is more laid back and relaxed.

This weekend my sister, niece, and I made a trip to Hilton Head to visit friends who were there for Spring Break. I've been to Hilton Head many times and each time I realized more and more that this is my kind of beach. It's nice and relaxed (at least in April), the beach isn't to crowded (at least in April), and the food is great (even if you don't like seafood). We had a fantastic time, and it ended way to soon. Ella actually cried when we left, and I couldn't blame her!!

Ella's not a fan of the sand...but loves the ocean

Ella loves the towel that GiGi got her at Disney World


No comments:

Post a Comment