Monday, February 8, 2010

Times they are a changin'

To put it mildly the economy sucks, I mean really sucks.   People are losing jobs, houses, savings, and retirement funds.  I have been very lucky that I haven't lost any of that and, despite my whining about it, I am grateful to have a job.  Still, paychecks keep getting cut, class sizes are getting bigger, stress levels are rising, and expectations keep getting more unbelievable...

For over a year my sister and I have talked about what we would do if the economy sunk so low that having separate houses no longer made sense.  We talked about selling both our houses to buy a larger (but cheaper) home, we talked about renting, refinancing, and moving in with our parents (hi mom).  We talked, and talked, and talked, and talked.  And finally we decided that it was time.  Next year is going to bring more cuts to the education budget (thanks government) and, while Dave Ramsey has made a huge difference in how I approach money, I won't be able to save nearly as much as I would like.   She is in a similar boat and although she isn't saving for an adoption she would like to pay down some debt. 

The next few months are going to be full of changes at my house because I'm about to get two roommates, one sister/best friend, and one adorable (although kinda loud) three year old,.   It is going to be mutually beneficial on both parts and should be good fun.  We've voluntarily lived together before, much to our parents surprise, and are looking forward to doing it again.  I'll be able to save for Bulgaria while also paying down debt, and she will get to pay down debt and start saving for life.  It will definitely take some adjusting but we are both looking forward to it.  My once neglected loft will soon become home to some awesome IKEA wardrobes (hello sale), and the guest room downstairs will become a room for cousins to share....someday! 

So bring it on Economy, Bring. It. On.

2 comments:

  1. I think it'll be awesome for y'all to be back in the same house! Now when we come to visit the kids can have slumber parties in the play room and I can crash in the bed o'comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it will be loud and fun and full of pets...kinda like your house!

    ReplyDelete