Friday, January 23, 2009

The Writing Test

Now I know that just yesterday I wrote about how I needed to complain less, and remember the good times more. Well today I experienced both a frustrating moment, and a funny one...all in the same period.

Every year certain grades are required to take a state mandated writing test. Today was writing test day which equals no fun for teachers, although come to think of it I did get a bunch of work done. Anyway during the writing test students are given a topic on which to write (pretty self-explanatory). They have a set amount of time to prewrite, draft, edit, write final copy, and proofread. Since I have special education students we get a bit more time but still have to take the same test. I thought some of you might enjoy this recreation of an actual test**....

Writing topic: Your principal is thinking about changing the length of class periods from 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Write a letter to your principal explaining if you would rather have 50 minute or 60 minute long classes.

Here is the response that one of my students spent 9o minutes working on.... (spelling mistakes are his not mine).
Writing topic: Your principal is thinking about changing the length of class periods from 50 minutes to 60 minutes. Write a letter to your principal explaining if you would rather have 50 minute or 60 minute long classes. I love middle shool. I want to get 100 on the witing test.

End of Example

Oh yeah that's right, he just recopied the writing topic and then added two sentences at the end. Now the real kicker is that I know that he can write a letter. I'm not saying he could write a perfect letter, but he does know how to start letters and how to end them. He also knows better than to just copy the topic!! Arg...............


**This is not the actual writing topic that my students had today, but you get the idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment